We use a combination of Expressive Arts Therapy and different types of Play Therapy to help children express themselves. This means we use a combination of the following:
- Art (painting, clay sculpture, drawing, building, mask making, bookmaking, collage, photography, etc.)
- Music (either playing or listening)
- Movement (dance or authentic movement)
- Sand Tray (a technique using sand and figures, similar to playing in a sandbox but with a therapeutic focus)
- Puppets (using puppets are a wonderful way of giving children a "different voice" to speak about their problems)
- Dramatic Play (Dolls and doll houses are used in a variety of ways)
- Games (certain games can help with behavioral issues and problem solving)
and much more! The array of techniques we can use with children is forever expanding.
Working with children is much different than working with adults, and the therapist that you choose should understand these differences. Children are going through different developmental levels, emotional development, and intellectual growth. By talking to them through play, their natural language, it helps them communicate and work through issues or trauma they would not otherwise be able to access.
Using a combination of techniques allows us to work well with all children, including those who are non-verbal and those with intellectual impairments. Kimberly Clementi, our therapist, has used these techniques with children on the Autism spectrum, or with other developmental issues, including Down Syndrome, Intellectual Disabilities, Landau-Kleffner, Prader-Willi, Septo-Optic Dysplasia, and various learning disorders.
There are many different ways of working with children. We have found this combination of art and play to be the most effective.
myFIRE Studios, LLC ~ 5 Northern Blvd. Building #16, Amherst, NH 03031 ~ (603) 459-5075 ~ firstname.lastname@example.org